Re: OWL 2?

Hi Paul,

With regard to the use of OWL 2 to express SKOS, I'm not sure if you are
aware of work done in Greece. The SWIGroup [1] have been investigating
whether OWL 2 could be a solution to express SKOS semantics rule. @
TenForce, we have been using SKOS extensively to answer the needs of our
costumers. One of the solution we have used to enforce the SKOS integrity
was to mix constraints expressed in OWL with some expressed based on SPARQL
queries and the Schemarama 2 Framework (e.g. [2]). This approach is very
useful as we can create rules specific to clients and their applications
relatively easily. In your blog [3], I see that you use a similar approach
based on the SPIN standard [4].

With regard to OWL 2 tools, I have struggled to find a tool that was good
enough to support the development of OWL 2 ontologies. Although TopBraid
Composer [5] supports OWL2, it only support some features of it. In my
opinion, this tool is more suitable to deal with RDF rather than OWL as it
RDF/XML output suggests. Protege 4 [6] has been suggested as a tool to
develop OWL 2 ontologies. However, the work on the OWL API [7] (especially
migration from OWL API 2 to OWL API 3) means that the tool is far from being
stable. It would also be nice if some work was done on the user interface,
but I don't think this is a major focus for the developer @ this time.

In my opinion, the core advantage of OWL 2 is the introduction of new
profiles (e.g. OWL 2 EL, OWL 2 RL and OWL 2 QL) [8]. These profiles allow
the an ontology engineer to use trimmed down version of OWL by trading some
expressive power for the efficiency of reasoning. For example, the EL
description logic has been used in the medical domain and provides efficient
reasoning on large ontologies (see CEL [9] and TrOWL [10] for EL+
reasoners). But its core disadvantage is the lack of proper tools (as also
pointed out by Paul).

Kind regards,

Quentin

[1] http://swig.hpclab.ceid.upatras.gr/SKOS/Skos2Owl2