Re: OWL 2?

I want to share my limited experiences.
I was very eager to learn and use OWL2.

My use case was the SKOS vocabulary.
SKOS has been formalized in OWL1-Full and OWL1-DL,
but since not all of the SKOS rules and constraints could be expressed in OWL1
I went to OWL2 for trying to formalize those additional semantics.

To my big surprise I discovered that OWL2 was of no use in doing this.
This is documented at http://bit.ly/aYodzu.

Frustrated, but no big deal, OWL2 must have been developed with other use cases in mind.

But my frustration became even bigger when moving to tools using the OWL(2)-API.
Although one claims that SKOS(1) is built into the OWL-API I do not succeed in getting the SKOS-XL vocabulary to work into these tools.
This is documented at: http://bit.ly/aO21h3
I tried to figure out what is going on, but no one (except Timothy Redmond) seems to care.

My conclusion:
I went to the store; they didn't deliver the goods and I did not encounter any customer oriented attitude.

Paul

On 18 Sep 2010, at 04:02, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-09-18 at 02:15 +0100, Nathan wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Apologies for this mail as it may not have a direct answer, but unsure
>> where else to ask. I often hear a general sentiment of negativity
>> towards OWL 2, implying that there's something wrong with it, that it's
>> not practical or not for the masses only for the academics.
>>
>> Simply, I don't understand or follow this thought and am probably
>> missing something obvious, can any one enlighten me?
>>
>> Hopefully this isn't a sore subject or something that shouldn't be
>> spoken about, and obviously no offence to anybody - just if somebody
>> could fill me in on the background behind the sentiment and why this
>> conclusion has been (I think?) reached, could they let me know - on or
>> off list.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Nathan
>>
>> ps: this really isn't intended to spark a bit debate or war - even that
>> sentence may show just how little I understand any background on this topic.
>
> I'm too biased to have any useful opinion here (I was a W3C staff
> contact for the OWL Working Group), but I'm curious whether the
> sentiments you've heard have been against OWL in general, or against OWL
> 2 and in favor of OWL 1?  I've heard a little bit of grumbling from OWL
> 1 folks who didn't see the need for the OWL 2 features, but (in the
> feedback I saw) they were dramatically outweighed by the folks who
> wanted the new features of OWL 2.
>
> In terms of who supports OWL 2, I can refer you to the official
> implementation report, as of a year ago:
> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Implementations
>
> If you follow the links in the first column, you'll more about who is
> behind the implementation.   This doesn't really answer your question,
> though, since even if these were all academic (they are not), it
> wouldn't speak to the user base.
>
>   -- Sandro

Kind Regards,
Paul Hermans