Re: ANN: The Vehicle Sales Ontology - Cars, Bikes, Boats on the Web of Data - http://purl.org/vso/ns

Hi Bob,
yes, that's in theory. In practice, there will often be no direct
interaction with the ontology labels, because the user interface is
wrapped around the whole conceptual structures. Image the following
scenario:

- owners of car sales or rental sites add GoodRelations + VSO markup
in RDFa to their page templates
--> they will have to use the ontology identifiers in the code. It may
be that future Web authoring tools will help with RDFa patterns and
offer the ontology element labels, but in all "raw" coding with Vi or
whatever, developers will have to deal with the identifiers.

- applications will harvest and exploit the rich meta-data, filter /
augment etc. them, and finally present them somehow to the user. But
the applications won't use (and don't have to) display the labels
attached to the elements in the ontology specification. They will use
localized, context / application specific terminology.
--> users will not even spot the ontologies used by the app to present
the results.

So I really think the multi-linguality of ontologies is overrated.
Language tags are extremely powerful on the data level, though, for
they simplify NLP processing / lifting.

Martin