Re: call to arms

Ivan
I have looked at a couple of the cases , and it seems to me a very good
starting point
quite a lot there

They do not all seem to have the UML use case diagram associated with it
though, but that doesnt really matter per se

some thoughts:

1. is there a way the authors of these case studies can be invited to join
the SWUIG mailing list
(in case there are some follow up discussions)

2. to make sure the interface satisfies the user requirement (as opposed to
the user requirements as presupposed by the developer) a
task analysis would be useful , this would have to be done by the authors of
the case studies, in conjunction with users and some usability
person (developers are generally not good at seeing the system from the user
perspective)

http://www.usabilitynet.org/tools/taskanalysis.htm

3. to issue guidelines for researchers to make sure use requirements,
usability standards and suitable interfaces should be prioritized
and developed in parallel with other aspects of the 'infrastructure'

4. I am sure I dont have to say this, but users should be found among a
wider and heterogeneous stakholder pool, so it would be a question
of the respective researchers to establish a network of stakeholders and
users among their target communities referred to in the repsective case
studies

Happy to contribute to this side of the sw effort if I can, a DERI MSc
student contacted me offliest may be able to
help lead this effort, will ping you her details separately

PDM

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> Additionally to Nodalities...
>
> A fairly long time ago we started a collection of SW Use Cases and Case
> Studies at W3C:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/
>
> the goal was to collect real SW deployment examples in industry and
> academia (ie, not reports on university projects). It is not perfect, it is
> not complete, but it is a start. W3C decided _not_ to 'edit' those entries
> but, with minor modifications, take what is out there which also explains
> the different style and, frankly, quality of the submissions.
>
> It is true that, in the last year, the number of submissions slowed down
> which may be my fault; I do chase applications but it is difficult to get
> people do the extra mile to write things down and sometimes I give up. But
> improving, enriching, etc, this collection would be good and any help would
> be greatly welcome....
>
> Ivan
>

> On Apr 1, 2010, at 03:25 , Ian Davis wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, March 30, 2010, Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net<karl%2Bw3c@la-grange.net>>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Danny has been one of the most convincing evangelist for years. We need
> more.
> >> ACTION: Tell a story to people.
> >>

> > We (Talis) are doing this with Nodalities magazine, blogs and
> > podcasts, reaching out beyond the technologists. If you have stories
> > we want to help you get them known - free distribution for your ideas,
> > software, products, services or whatever. The only cost is the time it
> > takes you to write a couple of pages or to chat to us over skype. Just
> > email us at nodalities-magazine@talis.com
> >
> > Remember no-one on this mailing list is a target for evangelism: we're
> > all convinced already! None of us are really target users for this
> > stuff either because we're much more interested in the architecture
> > and technology. We need to share stories and evangelise much wider to
> > the people who decide what technologies their organisations should
> > invest in.
> >
> > Ian
> >

> ----
> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
> mobile: +31-641044153

Paola Di Maio
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
Albert Einstein