Re: vCard/iCalendar RDF process document 2007-04-06

Kjetil,

Maybe there's some confusion here between A ) the comprehensiveness of
an ontology, and B ) ontology support by any particular RDF processor.
Your problem seems to be on point B: you don't want to force your
particular processor to have to understand the entire RDF vCard
ontology. Fine. I don't care if your processor understands only 50% of
the RDF vCard ontology. In fact, I don't care if your processor
understands only 1% of the RDF vCard ontology. This is RDF---you parse
in all nodes of an RDF graph, whether you understand all of it or not.
In fact, with RDF you can round-trip without understanding a bit of it.

But that doesn't mean the ontology can't be complete, and cover all the
information that non-RDF vCard would support. I'm strongly against
different subsets of the ontology. In my opinion this would make
understanding the spec harder and impede adoption because of the
proliferation of variations.

The only point left to consider here is the "value-switching" in my
current document, allowing vcard:firstName, for instance, to be a
literal, an rdf:value bnode, or an rdf:List of rdf:value bnodes. This
does not cause a significant processing problem, and certainly does not
necessitate different ontology subsets. Only a simple routine is needed,
shown here in pseudocode (with type casting removed for simplicity):

Literal[] getLiterals(Resource resource, Property property)
{
  Value value=resource.getProperty(property);
  if(value is Literal)
  {
    return new Literal[]{value};
  }
  else if(value is Resource)
  {
    return new Literal[]{value.getProperty(rdf:value)};
  }
  else if (value is List)
  {
    Literal[] literals=new Literal[value.length];
    for(i=0; i<value.length; i++)
    {
      literals[i]=value[i].getProperty(rdf:value);
    }
    return literals;
  }
}

There. That's value flipping. That's all the complexity that will be
added to a processor to support value flipping. You can call
getLiterals(resource, vcard:firstName), for instance, and the value that
will be returned will be no different than if we had required
vcard:firstName to be an rdf:List in every single instance.

Conclusion: I see no need for and I am strongly against ontology subsets.

Garret