Re: vCard/iCalendar RDF process document 2007-04-06

On Tuesday 01 May 2007 18:10, you wrote:
> This is RDF---you parse
> in all nodes of an RDF graph, whether you understand all of it or
> not. In fact, with RDF you can round-trip without understanding a bit
> of it.

Sure, but to non-RDFers, especially hcard users, it is useful to know
what you need to understand to have a sufficient implementation to do a
round-trip with hcard.

> But that doesn't mean the ontology can't be complete, and cover all
> the information that non-RDF vCard would support. I'm strongly
> against different subsets of the ontology. In my opinion this would
> make understanding the spec harder and impede adoption because of the
> proliferation of variations.

Actually, I am of the exact opposite opinion, but based on the same
arguments... :-) I think it would make the spec much easier to
understand, aid adoption by explicitly telling people what they would
need to implement in the simplest case, and as long as the subsets of
the core and full are disjoint but the union of them makes up the whole
vCard, there is no variations to talk about -- there are just two
namespace URIs instead of one, that's all.

Best,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer