Re: vCard/iCalendar RDF process document 2007-04-06

On May 1, 2007, at 12:10 PM, Garret Wilson wrote:

> The only point left to consider here is the "value-switching" in my
> current document, allowing vcard:firstName, for instance, to be a
> literal, an rdf:value bnode, or an rdf:List of rdf:value bnodes.

This goes to that question of complexity that I and Harry were
mentioning. I strongly support Norm's original decision that the name
properties (among them not firstName, BTW) ought to be literal
properties restricted to a maximum cardinality of 1.

E.g.:

<v:VCard rdf:about="http://ex.net/1">
   <v:fn>J. Edgar Hoover</v:fn>
   <v:sort-string>Hoover, J. Edgar</v:sort-string>
   <v:n rdf:parseType="Resource">
     <v:given-name>J. Edgar</v:given-name>
     <v:family-name>Hoover</v:family-name>
   </v:n>
</v:VCard>

I think treating personal name parts as resources in a collection is
gratuitous complexity.

Bruce