Re: Showing the Semantic Web

From: Emmanuel Pietriga <emmanuel.pietriga@inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:52:41 +0100
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

> I think your topic is spot on. The Semantic Web should be shown more in
> a literal sense! There should be better tools to visualize RDF.
>
> Currently we have IsaViz. The graphs it produces from moderately sized
> RDF files are awe inspiring and make it seem very complicated.
> They are improving things with GSS, but I think we need to go further.
> Fresnel seems promising, but I haven't seen much happening there.

IsaViz [1] is not actually aimed at showing Semantic Web data to anybody
in the "real world". Its representation is too low-level for that. You
are right when you say GSS tries to improve this, but even with GSS [2],
IsaViz is still aimed at people who want to get an understanding of the
structure of their RDF model, and get a more graphical, node-link
diagram-based representation of their data. That is mostly RDF *developers*.

For applications that try to present Semantic Web data and reach a
broader audience, take a look at the various tools developed within the
Simile project [3] such as Longwell and Piggy bank.  Other interesting
tools out there include Haystack [4], mSpace [5] and Noadster [6].

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/11/IsaViz/
[2] http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/12/03/gss.html
[3] http://simile.mit.edu/
[4] http://haystack.lcs.mit.edu/
[5] http://mspace.fm/
[6] http://homepages.cwi.nl/~media/demo/noadster/

--
Emmanuel Pietriga
INRIA Futurs - Projet In Situ    tel : +33 1 69 15 34 66