Re: [tangle] getting the semweb exactly wrong

Henry Story wrote:
> On 4 Jan 2006, at 20:23, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>> On 4 Jan 2006, at 20:03, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>>> One answer is: don't!  The SemWeb is about conecting the data to
>>> what it means.
>>> Keep the data in the place where it works and runs fast.
>>> Find/Write ontologies about what the data is about.
>>> Run a virtual RDF server (supporting SPARQL if a large DB) on top
>>> of the data.
>>> publish the connection between the database columns and the
>>> ontolgies.
>>
>> I don't get this last bit. Why would someone know what database
>> column a bit of data comes from? Isn't this an implementation
>> detail that should better be hidden from consumers of the RDF?
>
> check out d2rq
> http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/d2rq/
>
> Any other tools that do the same?

Codd webizer [1][2] has a set of JDBC connectors and
is automatically treating collums as RDF properties
<http://host.domain/database/table#collumn>

URIs like
http://host.domain/database.SELECT+table1.collumn1,+table2.collumn2+FROM+table1,+table2+WHERE+...
are dereferenced as N3 triple sets

e.g.

#################
@prefix persons: <http://wopeg3.he.agfa.be/iswc/persons#>.
@prefix papers: <http://wopeg3.he.agfa.be/iswc/papers#>.
@prefix e: <http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/2003/03swap/log-rules#>.

_:e3 e:tuple ( persons:FirstName persons:LastName papers:Title ).

( "Yolanda" "Gil" "Trusting Information Sources One Citizen at a Time" ) a
_:e3.
( "Varun" "Ratnakar" "Trusting Information Sources One Citizen at a Time"
) a _:e3.
( "Andreas" "Eberhart" "Automatic Generation of Java/SQL based Inference
Engines from RDF Schema and RuleML" ) a _:e3.
( "Borys" "Omelayenko" "Integrating Vocabularies: Discovering and
Representing Vocabulary Maps" ) a _:e3.
( "Andy" "Seaborne" "Three Implementations of SquishQL, a Simple RDF Query
Language" ) a _:e3.
( "Alberto" "Reggiori" "Three Implementations of SquishQL, a Simple RDF
Query Language" ) a _:e3.
( "Sonia" "Bergamaschi" "A Data Integration Framework for E-commerce
Product Classification" ) a _:e3.
( "Francesco" "Guerra" "A Data Integration Framework for E-commerce
Product Classification" ) a _:e3.

the rest is indeed conecting the data and
testing relationships between different datasets

[1] http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/eulersharp/2004/01swap/src/euler/Codd.java?rev=1.24&view=auto
[2] http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/eulersharp/2004/01swap/codd.properties?rev=1.9&view=auto