Re: [tangle] getting the semweb exactly wrong

On 4 Jan 2006, at 20:58, Henry Story wrote:
> On 4 Jan 2006, at 20:23, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>> On 4 Jan 2006, at 20:03, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>>> One answer is: don't!  The SemWeb is about conecting the data to
>>> what it means.
>>> Keep the data in the place where it works and runs fast.
>>> Find/Write ontologies about what the data is about.
>>> Run a virtual RDF server (supporting SPARQL if a large DB) on top
>>> of the data.
>>> publish the connection between the database columns and the
>>> ontolgies.
>>
>> I don't get this last bit. Why would someone know what database
>> column a bit of data comes from? Isn't this an implementation
>> detail that should better be hidden from consumers of the RDF?
>
> check out d2rq
> http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/d2rq/

Yeah, I know D2RQ, my name appears a few times on that page :-)

I was puzzled by Tim's comment: "publish the connection between the
database columns and the ontolgies." What does this mean?

> Any other tools that do the same?

These don't do quite the same, but are related:

EricP's FeDeRate (simple automatic 1:1 mapping from DB to RDF, Algae
query support)
http://www.w3.org/2003/01/21-RDF-RDB-access/

RDQuery by Cristian Pérez de Laborda (simple automatic 1:1 mapping
from DB to RDF, RDQL query support)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rdquery

Samizdat combines an app-specific DB schema with generic RDF storage,
RDQL query support
http://www.nongnu.org/samizdat/papers/rel-rdf.pdf

Chris Bizer's older D2R-Map (dumps the DB to RDF instead of providing
a queryable virtual graph)
http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/d2rmap/D2Rmap.htm

Best,
Richard