Re: decoupling XSLT streaming recommendations from the main spec

On Wed, 2022-09-21 at 15:43 +0530, Mukul Gandhi wrote:

> I think, the XSLT spec (taking ideas from XSLT 3.0) should remove
> streaming/performance related recommendations from the main body of
> the spec, and move that to a separate document

What about XSLT instructions that were introduced for streaming but
that are generally useful? Learning XSLT 3 without xsl:iterate, on-
empty, where-populated, accumulators, copy() and snapshot, would be a
poor education indeed.

>  (likely as a normative
> annexure of the main XSLT spec, or as a normative WG note linked from
> the main XSLT spec).

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a normative note really :)

In the XSLT 3 course i run, i introduce people to a way of reading
specs for reference that seem to work well, using the section
introductions and the internal linking. People are not expected, for
the most part, to read the specs end-to-end, so if there's text that
doesn't apply to them they simply don't see it. Implementers on the
other hand are not helped by having more documents to read.

liam

--
Liam Quin - paligo.net, delightfulcomputing.com
Cancer gofundme https://www.gofundme.com/f/5u9v7-every-little-helps