Re: Additional issue on RFC 2253 usage in relation with XMLSig: On the capability of the RFC2253 "CN=Sam"encoding form for identifying a Certificate.

Konrad Lanz wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I do not think that XMLDSig is the right place to perform DNAME
> constraining, canonicalization or comparison.
> Usually RFC 2253/4514 implementations will parse two string
> representations and rather use means as specified in RFC 4517 section 4
> to compare two values.
>
> However I would agree giving input to the IETF as these specifications
> are located in their premises. Such input could essentially ask for a
> canonical string representation for DNAMEs.
>
> That would be really nice and such a DNAME comparison could then be
> reduced to a simple string comparison. ;-)

FYI, we have defined one for Java:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/security/auth/x500/X500Principal.html#getName(java.lang.String)

See the paragraph that start with "If "CANONICAL" is specified as the
format ..."

--Sean