Re: Names for p:* steps

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
> "Innovimax SARL" <innovimax@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Well, may I ask you to elaborate on this ?
>
> Sure.
>
> Imagine that library.xpl contains:

> Consider the following imaginary command line syntax:
>
> $ calabash -isource=- -oresult=- -s xinclude-and-xslt library.xpl
>
> This tells the processor to load "library.xpl" and run the step named
> "xinclude-and-xslt". All straightforward.
>
> Now suppose I want to just run the "add-attribute" step. I could wrap
> it in a pipeline, put it in a library, give it a name, and run it. But
> since the library for the XProc builtin steps is always loaded (at
> least conceptually), why do I have to do that? Why can't I just say:
>
> $ calabash -isource=- -oresult=- -s add-attribute \
>          match=div attribute-name=foo attribute-value=bar
>
> I can't because the standard p:add-attribute step doesn't have a name.
>
> I was wondering if we couldn't do something about that. But I don't
> think we can.
>
> However, I think I'll work around the problem by saying that if you
> don't load a pipeline or a library and if you specify a step name then
> the xml:id values of the standard steps are considered for the purpose
> of matching the specified name.

Sorry for the comparison, but you remind me someone 10 years ago,
asking me why we can't execute any Java class that was in the JDK

I still think that declare step is declaring abstract model of the step

so if you want to instantiate it, I would say that you need to provide
a other mode to launch an abstract

 $ calabash -isource=- -oresult=- -instantiate p:add-attribute \
          match=div attribute-name=foo attribute-value=bar

where -instantiate takes a type instead of name and instantiate an
anonymous instance of that type

Mohamed