From: public-xml-processing-model-comments-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-xml-processing-model-comments-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Norman Walsh
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 6:17 PM
To: public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org
Subject: Re: p:declare-step - atomic steps vs. empty pipelines

/ Toman_Vojtech@emc.com was heard to say:
| I have a question about the "new" p:declare-step syntax with regard to

| declaring empty pipelines. It seems to me that in some cases the XProc

| processor has no way of knowing whether the declared step is an atomic

| step or an empty pipeline.

It was intended as an if-and-only-if relationship. If you're declaring
an atomic step, you must not provide a subpipeline. If you don't provide
a subpipeline, you are, by definition, declaring an atomic step.

It is a static error (err:XS0027) for a compound step to have no
contained steps. It follows, I think, that it would be an error to
attempt to declare a pipeline with no contained steps.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Linux. Because rebooting is for