Re: p:log feels clunky

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
> / James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@gmail.com> was heard to say:
>
> | it makes sense if what u want is to have a log of what happened at
>  | that step and capture all input/output e.g. consider the trivial
>  | example log output I generate from a declare-step with a
>  | log="somefile.xml" attribute.
>  | <step name="mystep">
>  |   <input port="">some xml that came in</input>
>  |   <output port="">xml output of the step</input>
>  | </step>
>  | I see this as a useful debugging output on <p:pipeline/>, <p:group/>,
>  | try/catch, etc ...
>
>  I'm sorry, Jim, but I don't follow that example at all. I don't see *any*
>  log attribute or element there, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I am not being clear

take the following log attribute being set on a step,

might generate some trace/log information as xml

<log>
<step xproc:defaultname="!1:mystep" name="mystep">
   <input port="">some xml that came in</input>
   <output port="">xml output of the step</input>
</step>
</log>

>  | keeping the log format XML I think is useful as
>  | well.

>  I don't think we want to say anything about the format, especially since
>  I don't want to attempt to solve the "how do you represent a sequence of
>  documents" question.

fair enough point .... most of the issues that I am bringing up now
have to do with some experience through implementation .... having an
'out of band' trace/log becomes very useful in debugging xproc
pipelines ... just a little concerned that there are still a few
'cowpaths' that will eventually need paving in current xproc draft.

cheers, Jim