Re: 7. Suggested test for space normalisation

From: Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:31:33 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: public-xml-id@w3.org

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 03:08:46PM +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 02:06:41PM +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > >
> > > Please ensure the test suite contains a test where the following:
> > >
> > >    xml:id=" te  st "
> > >
> > > ...is shown to cause its element to have ID "te st".
> >
> > No, the result is not an NCName, this shoul;d not generate an ID.
>
> That doesn't matter, see xml:id section 4 paragraph 10:
>
> | The xml:id processor performs ID assignment on all xml:id attributes,
> | even those that do not satisfy the enumerated constraints.

  C..p ! I don't remember agreeing with that :-(
I actually strongly disagree with this. I have seen enough XPointer/XSLT and
C14N horrors due to the "lax" behaviour of XPath-1.0 IDs ! When you start
doing digital signatures based on something which should have raised an
error but that the software didn't even care to report, you're back to
the random processing mess we tried to avoid with XML-1.0 :-(

Daniel