Re: A thought about profiles

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 16:50 +0100, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Liam R E Quin writes:
>
> > I take it you are proposing introducing (formally, that is) and defining
> > the term "infoset". But shouldn't that be done in the XML Information
> > Set specification?
>
> It already is defined there, this is just an _ad-hoc_ formalisation,
> since I can't say what I want to say about profiles w/o one.

I'd rather see a reference. In fact, infoset is introduced as a synonym
for Information Set,
[[
Its purpose is to provide a consistent set of definitions for use in
other specifications that need to refer to the information in a
well-formed XML document
]]
and
[[
An XML document's information set consists of a number of information
items; the information set for any well-formed XML document will contain
at least a document information item and several others. An information
item is an abstract description of some part of an XML document: each
information item has a set of associated named properties. In this
specification, the property names are shown in square brackets, [thus].
The types of information item are listed in section 2.

]]

which I think is not entirely compatible with your proposal.

> >>    We can define a *profile* (sc. for infosets) as a set of node labels N
> >>    (which always contains at least Literal) and a set of edge labels E,
> >>    and a *profiled infoset* P of an infoset I wrt such a profile as
> >>    follows:
> >
> > Not sure what sc. is abbreviating here.
>
> 'scilicet' -- sorry, forget Dan Connolly's rule: "No Latin!".  So the
> parenthesis should read "(understood as a profile _for infosets_)".

Thanks, I'm more used to sc. for sculpt., as in, engraved an image!

> > "always contains at least one Literal"?
>
> No -- N is a set of labels, and to simplify things I'm just treating
> all leaf nodes, which are always literals in an infoset, as being
> Literal Infoset Items, and my point here is that you aren't allowed to
> leave such nodes _out_ of a profiled infoset.

I think you need to be explicit - a simplified explanation isn't always
clearer :-)

Thanks for replying.