Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2004 October 13

Attendees
---------
 Paul
 Arnaud
 Dmitry
 Norm
 Leonid
 Richard xx:09
 Henry
 Daniel
 John  xx:13

[8 organizations (8 with proxies) present out of 12]

Regrets
-------
Glenn
François
Lew

Absent organizations
--------------------
Microsoft
NIST
François Yergeau (with regrets)
Lew Shannon (with regrets)

> Agenda
> ======
> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>    the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>    or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

Accepted.

> 2. Miscellaneous administrivia.
>
> The next W3C Technical Plenary Week will be 28 February 2005
> through 4 March 2005:
>      http://www.w3.org/2002/09/TPOverview.html
>
> The meeting will be held in the Hyatt Harborside, Boston:
>      http://harborside.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml
>

> 3. Problem with xml:space in the Schema document for the XML namespace
>
> Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org> sent us email on this at:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2004Jul/0019
>
> CONSENSUS to remove the default for xml:space from the schema
> for the xml namespace.
>
> ACTION to Henry:  Draft a new schema and send it to the XML Core list.

Done:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2004Oct/0007

Henry's suggested new schema includes xml:id.  Are we anticipating
too much here?

Henry and DV think it's fine.  Norm too.

We will leave it for a week and see if we have any other comments.

> 4. XML errata.  The published 1.0 errata document is [8], the
>    published 1.1 errata document is [9], and the NEW PUBLIC
>    Potential Errata (PE) document is [7].
>
> Glenn has raised a question at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2004Sep/0080
> about the wording for the ANY and mixed content models and whether
> they allow cdata sections and/or comments and PIs.
>
> All on the phone (and Francois in previous email) agree that we meant
> to allows cdata sections and PIs and comments in these models.
>
> ACTION to Glenn:  Propose corrected wording in email.

Done:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2004Oct/0004

CONSENSUS to go with Glenn's words (with Paul's commas).

> ACTION to François:  Make this a PE.

ACTION to Francois:  Put Glenn's words into a 2 week countdown.

> 5. Namespaces in XML.
>
>   ACTION to Richard:  Produce a draft for NS1.0 2nd Ed.
>

> 6. Xinclude PR was published Sept 30 at:
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PR-xinclude-20040930/
>    and announced to the AC at
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2004JulSep/0043
>
>    Please be sure your AC reps vote on it by October 29.
>
> Sandra has added ERH's test to the XInclude Test Suite.

Done per:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2004Oct/0008

> Elliotte has another test to send us too.

ACTION to Paul:  Tell Elliotte to send the files to Sandra
(config file change as well as actual test files).

> 7. xml:id.
>
> Norm has collected the xml:id issues, now (public) at:
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2004/xml-id/wd-status/status-report.html
>
> ACTION to Norm:  Please add $Date $ to the CVS line at the top.

Done.

> The latest draft (2004 August 24) is at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2004/xmlcore/xmlid/xml-id.html
>
> ID Strictness
> -------------
>
> We have CONSENSUS on the following:
>
> * Processors MUST check that xml:id values are valid NCNames.
>
> * It is an xml:id error for xml:id values to not be unique.
>
> ACTION to Norm:  Produce another WG WD reflecting this and our
> other decisions.

ACTION continued.

> No mention of [references] Infoset property
> Conclusion:  We'd like a motherhood note that suggests that
> the [references] Infoset property should be correct for things
> recognized by xml:id.
>
> xml:id and fragment identifiers
> -------------------------------
> We have CONSENSUS that we don't need to say anything here.
> We could add another motherhood note here.

Comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xml-id-20040407/
CONSENSUS: xml:id only works if you don't abuse colons wrt the
namespace spec.

Comments on initial draft of xml:id
-----------------------------------
CONSENSUS:  We will soften the language about using attribute
names other than xml:id as ids to be merely a suggestion to
improve interoperability.

ACTION to Norm:  Put some new language into the next WD.

When DTDs collide
-----------------
xml:id will require that xml:id attr be declared as type id
and if they are not declared they will be coerced to type id.
If they are declared as a type other than id, that is an
xml:id error; the processor must, at user option, report
the error and leave the attribute typed as declared.

ACTION to Norm:  Point the RFC 3023-ng editors to the xml:id spec.

Multiple IDs per element in schemas 1.1
---------------------------------------
The xml:id spec doesn't say anything about multiple ids per element,
so this issue is up to the schema language.

Missing "else" in section 4.3
-----------------------------
Norm expects to rewrite this part of the spec, so we will review
this thread after the rewrite.

XPath 2 without WXS (XSD)
CONSENSUS: Nothing to do to the xml:id spec.

ACTION to Henry:  Urge XSL WG to consider xml:id in XPath 2.0.

Feedback on XML id
Mostly editorial.  Norm will address in the next WD.

[QA Review] xml:id Version 1.0
Norm will review these comments.