RE: Major Milestone: WebID over WebSockets

I read the websockets spec, last week. And, I read what it was intended for (versus what its not). Of course, none of that stops people using it as a general purpose transport, much like folks use http as a tunnel across firewalls. Of course, deep packet inspection and TLS MITM firewalls exist - to inspect the tunneled protocols. The reason webid struggle to cross firewalls doing SSL is BECUASE of the need to inspect "illicit" protocols , tunneled. clien certs suffered, since firewalls intefere with end-end SSL handshakes. Second, crypto quality is largely a function of assurance not APIs. Windows browsers have had optional activeX controls in their build for years, that give javascript access to the platforms own Crypto API. IE is just a collection of activeX controls inside a container, and adding one more either in the build, or in the packaging a corporate entity uses, or in a web page (through the object tag), is normal. Sun microsofts used to drivel on about how threatening it was (in hogwash marketing about the inherent security of java-based browsers).  Third, crypto assurance is largely about hardware, not software. If users and programmers can tamper with the crypto (that  delivers strength to a mechanism), so can attackers - who are just other programmers. At this point one needs a point of trust on the platform, that protects the software against tampering. This is the long term crux of the argument about why IE is tied to the OS. its the root cause of my problems on the IIS side, where its crypto too is tied to hardware trust design (dont allow programmers to tamper, including application programmers).  its from hardware, to kernel, to certs to APIs that makes webid hard to implement in (excellent) windows security design. So, lets not get obsessed with crypto APIs. we have had them for years. The art is to make trusted crypto. I will forsee that MANY arguments will be made why the "leap" made for javascript source-based crypto libs will, ahem, somehow necessarily require that keying be less than spectaculrly assured. The art will be to "re-educate" folks, that keying should be "done a particualr way", always. That is, if folks get (vendor-) free'd crypto, it will come with a hobbled key management, as a counterweight. Its the nature of society that a leap in one direction on crypto tends to be compensated by a fall in another (key management or platform trustworthiness) The urge to spy runs deep. Its quite cheap to bribe the software platform vendors (and the folks architecting standards). Its been demonstrated repeatedly that many security standards were "structured" for covert goals.