Re: Major Milestone: WebID over WebSockets

On 22 Dec 2011, at 11:37, Henry Story wrote:

> What I have initially had trouble understanding in Dave Longley's javascript implementation
> of WebID is how the keys generated in one server and save in a local datastore
> get used from one server to another. That is never made clear  in any documentation I have
> seen.
>
> In a conversation some time ago with one of the developers, I learnt that essentially until
> the browser supports javascript access to the local keystone there is a lot of jumping around
> using perhaps even OAuth in the background. So that means that the protocols in the
> background is in fact very complicated and probably very difficult to secure. Cryptography
> is notoriously tricky to get right, and javascript comes itself with a huge number of security
> issues.
>
> But all is not lost
>
> There is a group called the Web Crypto API that is being put in place
>  http://www.w3.org/wiki/IdentityCharter

Sorry the correct link is here now:
   http://www.w3.org/2011/11/webcryptography-charter.html
And they had/have their discussions on the public-identity@w3.org . They reduced their
aims from identity to cryptography and are in the final stages of building the charter.