Re: Network Opacity Re: Breaches of Privacy are what will drive change

From: Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 21:55:56 -0400
Cc: public-xg-socialweb@w3.org
To: Oshani Seneviratne <oshani@csail.mit.edu>

Le 9 juil. 2009 à 19:19, Oshani Seneviratne a écrit :
> So, in a social networking context I think your points 1 and 2 above
> can be handled by proper access control policies, while 3, and 4 can
> be handled by proper data usage policies.

Yes exactly it's why we should not really talk about privacy but tools
to control data sharing and tools to give access to data policies.

Privacy is then something which depends heavily on a cultural context.
Most of the stories that we will get will have a very western viewpoint.

In our western context, there is for example, the AOL search record leak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL_search_data_scandal

Another point, the example stories that we would collect just
crystallize the breach of privacy of the cases.
Many of the stories already appear in wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_vigilantism

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada