From: public-xg-audio-request@w3.org [mailto:public-xg-audio-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Michael Good
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 8:55 AM
To: public-xg-audio@w3.org
Subject: Re: Music Notation on the Web

Hi Tom,

> I don't think that is true... to my knowledge all DAWs and al Digital
Pianos with on-screen notation can display notation from plain old MIDI
files. No extensions or additional private data is needed.

Sure - most notation editors will display notation from MIDI files as well.
But the results are lossy and need to be modified for any use case. Your
Band-in-a-Box user, for instance, will need to add chord symbols, and
sometimes adjust the pitches and rhythms. Those modifications need to be
stored with extra data that is not present in the Standard MIDI Files spec
and recommended practices.

Best regards,

Michael Good
Recordare LLC