Re: why distinguish between simple and complex types? (issue 11): allowing internal and external ModelReferences on the same element

Jacek:

Here is a perspective on having both internal and external
ModelReferences on the same element.

If there are more than one ModelReferences for an
element plus type (ComplexType/SimpleType), we need to be able to specifiy
which one applies (hence the ability to identify precedence).
[We need to allow redefinition/overwriting which is required when we
need to have
semantic annotation of an element (ModelRef) wrt to more than one
ontologies,
and redefinition/overwriting enables us to specify new annotation we wish to
apply.]

Each ModelReference may have corresponding
Schema Mapping.
(b1) I suggest we consider adequacy of "latest annotation applies".
(b2) I do not believe we need to worry about mutual consistency between
two ModelReferences on an element
     if they are wrt to different ontologies.
(b3) The issue of consistency is important with respect to all
ModelReferences in a
WSDL wrt to any one ontology (ontology models the world and has KR rigor
such as
consistency of ontological specification), but this will need to be
handled by tools and developers.

Amit
=====

Kunal,

do you have any specific scenario where precedence rules would be
useful? I feel that if the type says it is an Address, and the element
that uses the type says it is DeliveryAddress, both do apply, right?
I don't really see how we could specify that DeliveryAddress applies
more.

If there is a conflict, like the type says it is a "Mammal" and the
element says it is a "Car", that would make an inconsistent (and
invalid) SAWSDL document, and I don't think we should hide this problem
by specifying that only Car applies for this particular use of what
elsewhere would be Mammal.

So in a nutshell, I don't think we need precedence or resolution rules
if we call inconsistent documents invalid.

Best regards,

Jacek