Re: why distinguish between simple and complex types? (issue 11)

From: Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 16:10:45 +0200
To: verma@cs.uga.edu
Cc: Rama Akkiraju <akkiraju@us.ibm.com>, SAWSDL public list <public-ws-semann@w3.org>

Kunal,

do you have any specific scenario where precedence rules would be
useful? I feel that if the type says it is an Address, and the element
that uses the type says it is DeliveryAddress, both do apply, right?
I don't really see how we could specify that DeliveryAddress applies
more.

If there is a conflict, like the type says it is a "Mammal" and the
element says it is a "Car", that would make an inconsistent (and
invalid) SAWSDL document, and I don't think we should hide this problem
by specifying that only Car applies for this particular use of what
elsewhere would be Mammal.

So in a nutshell, I don't think we need precedence or resolution rules
if we call inconsistent documents invalid.

Best regards,

Jacek