Re: R: Issue 6692 (re-send for the list)

+1

On 26 Mar 2009, at 23:06, Gilbert Pilz wrote:

> [...]
>> happen if successive messages had different mime types? http allows
>> for only one.  So in that case, unless constraints are imposed,
>> messages need to be sent one by one anyway.
>> C) Anything other than the one form of notification delivery we
>> have defined will probably require additional protocol messages and
>> indeed extend the protocol in a behavioral sense.
>> D) There are very few ways to send messages to a non-addressable
>> endpoint.   The two main techniques are polling and tunneling.  It
>> might be most convenient that we allow users to pick whichever they
>> choose.
>>
>> To accommodate current implementations that have a push mode
>> defined, I might suggest that we add an extensibility point in
>> place of that attribute to allow for use of it, but I don't think
>> the protocol cares.
>>
>> I hope that this is helpful
>> -bob
>>

>> On Mar 25, 2009, at 3:26 PM, Chou, Wu (Wu) wrote:
>>
>> Bob,
>>
>> I would like to share my thoughts and clarify the point I made in
>> the WG call regarding issue 6692 (removing "mode") and the use
>> cases of non-push mode event delivery,
>>
>> Issue 6542 (makeConnect) is a concrete use case of non-push mode
>> event delivery. Since it won't fit in WS-E push mode definition, it
>> proposes/needs to change WS-E push mode definition/semantics. As
>> discussed extensively by Doug, Li, Geoff, etc. as well as the
>> question you raised, makeConnect needs to pull event from source
>> and it is not WS-E push mode, e.g. it is not an "unsolicited" event
>> delivery that controlled solely by the event source as specified by
>> WS-E push mode specification.
>>
>> "Push" and "pull" are two distinct concepts with well defined
>> semantics. This is even more so in WS-E with its definitive push
>> mode semantics specified in the specs (Section 2.2 Terminology),
>> e.g. it must be [unsolicited], [individual], [soap binding],
>> [asynchronous], [notification] to send event from source to the sink.
>>
>> I am sure there are many other cases that won't fit into WS-E push
>> mode. The point I would like to make is: "redundancy" issues should
>> be dealt with after we finish all proposals with new semantics to
>> WS-E, since redundancy won't hurt the validity/applications of the
>> specs. We need to see the whole tree before trimming a branch off,
>> because "redundancy" may change as new semantics being added.
>>
>> Moreover, we should deal "redundancy" with the sensitivity that WS-
>> E has been widely implemented. It influences many standards from
>> various standard bodies. Unless it is absolutely painful and
>> necessary, I would hope to avoid minor redundancy changes which
>> have no impact to application semantics.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> - Wu Chou.
>>
>> Wu Chou, IEEE Fellow, Ph.D. | Director |Avaya Labs Research | AVAYA
>> | 233 Mt. Airy Road| Rm. 2D48 | Basking Ridge, NJ 07920 | Voice/

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE
     Reg. No. 4153469

     +44-7590-293439 (Mobile)

 Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
 Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE
 Registered No. 4153469

 This e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of addressee(s) and
 may contain information which is privileged and confidential. Unauthorised
 use or copying for disclosure is strictly prohibited. The fact that this
 e-mail has been scanned by Trendmicro Interscan and McAfee Groupshield does
 not guarantee that it has not been intercepted or amended nor that it is
 virus-free.