	From: Sergey Beryozkin [mailto:sergey.beryozkin@iona.com]
	Sent: Wednesday, Sep 27, 2006 8:37 AM
	To: Yalcinalp, Umit; Prasad Yendluri; Daniel Roth;
public-ws-policy@w3.org
	Subject: Re: ISSUE 3564: Optional Assertions may not be usable
in all cir cumstances

	Hi

	IMHO, using 'capability' and 'requirement' as different terms is
confusing.
	Personally I see both unoptional and optional assertions as
those marking various capabilities. For ex, optional mtom assertion and
non optional sp:httpstoken assertion are capabilities in that a provider
is capable of supporting optimized mtom serialization and htts security.
I'm sure there can be many more interpretations there.

	I believe if following simple assumptions/rules are made clear
in the text, then there won't be a source for any confusions/arguments.

	1. wsp:optional can be used to mark an assertion as being
optional. This means a client is free to ignore it. This is backed up by
the spec mandating wsp:optional is not part of the normal form
expression, per every assertion marked as wsp:optional in the compact
form there will be at least two alternatives with one of them including
the optional assertion and with the other one not.

	2. wsp:optional marks an assertion which MAY be processed/noted
by a client. By no means it's supposed to give any signals to a
(provider) entity. A provider entity is guaranteed to support all policy
assertions listed in a given policy, those marked as wsp:optional and
those which are not. This is again backed up by the fact that
wsp:optional is not present in the normal expression form.

	3. IMHO, reserving wsp:optional as a means to mark only those
assertions which identify behaviours which may be engaged during the
interaction between entities, is confusing. Clearly, there's a range of
policy assertions which have no behavioural requirements on the
consuming entity and these assertions are normal citizens of the
WS-Policy landscape. Such assertions can also be marked optional, see
also 5.

	4. Given 1-3 above I believe primer/guidelines shouild be
updated to clearly state 1. and 2. and say that wsp:optional can be used
to mark assertions which identify behaviours which may be engaged and
assertions which identify provider capabilities with no behavioral
requirements on the consuming entity

	5. I know it's a controversial one but : given 1-4 and the fact
that capabilities with no behavioral requirements have no effect on the
consuming entity and can only be used for the selection, primer should
recommend marking such capabilities as optional (Apologies for repeating
it all again and again, I'll open an issue for it be properly tracked).
Otherwise unaware (client) entities will unnecessarily fail. I believe
policy authors will put wsp:optional on such assertions anyway, but
first they'll learn the hard way that their services can only be
consumed by a limited set of entities. Should 3 be addressed then I feel
there won't be any disagreement here too.

	Cheers, Sergey Beryozkin

		Hi Prasad,

		It seems to me that perhaps the problem is the assumed
definition of capability in the community and lets tease out a bit. You
are right, there is an anomaly, but I am not sure I agree with the term
"optional requirement".

		When MTOM assertion is present with optional="true" on a
msg, I do not understand why you think it as a requirement. >From the
perspective of the service, it is an optimization that is available but
NOT necessary to be engaged. Hence, IMO this fits to a definition of a
capability, albeit inherent at runtime.

		The marker to indicate that an interaction will take 10
seconds response time is more of a property of the service. I do not
consider this a capability that is selectively engaged. In essence, the
service does not advertise that "hey I can response to you in 10
seconds, but you must do sth in order to get this kind of quality of
service". It just says that you will get this behaviour. IMO, this is
just an inherent property of the QoS, not a capability.  It is a
requirement of the service to provide you this QoS. The burden is on the
provider (or whomever) that advertises this assertion as it is a
requirement on their part. Just like a marker that advertises whether
the interactions with a service guarantees confidentiality ("we won't
sell your information to third parties".). You may be able to take legal
action if they do if they did not comply with the advertised policy
which they advertise. The client does not do or no choice in altering
the outcome, but it is just there. I agree that this expression of this
category should be part of the WS-Policy assertions. I would not call
this a capability however. In this case, the #2 is a requirement, but
the requirement is on the provider where the client does not need to do
anything.

		In the end it all boils down to what we mean by
"capability" and whether we need a glossary to explain it. The MTOM
category IMO is certainly NOT a requirement.

		Lets see what others think. After we solidify the
terminology, it is easy to fix the guidelines, primer, etc.

		Cheers,

		--umit