  From: Sergey Beryozkin
  To: Sergey Beryozkin ; Daniel Roth ; public-ws-policy@w3.org
  Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 3:18 PM
  Subject: Re: Notes - Treasure Hunt - Nov 7th 2006

  I'll ask a different question.. Is it a "lie" : ?

  <wsp:Policy>
      <wsp:ExactlyOnce>
          <!-- Alt1 -->
          <wsp:All>
               <iona:hightlyThrouputtable signedAndVerifiedBy=".."/>
          </wsp:All>
          <!-- Alt2 -->
          <wsp:All>
                <ws:Reliable/>
          </wsp:All>
      </wsp:ExactlyOnce>
  </wsp:Policy>

  No, its' not. Alt1 is what a client1 got. Alt2 is what a client2 got. Imagine there's no two alternatives.
  A client is asking a broker : find me a service with 'Alt1', another one is asking for a service matching alt2;
  Is this a 'lie' ? :

  Client1 gets this. The service happens to be reliable, but we don't see it here, did provider 'cheated' :

  <wsp:Policy>
      <wsp:ExactlyOnce>
          <!-- Alt1 -->
          <wsp:All>
               <iona:hightlyThrouputtable signedAndVerifiedBy=".."/>
          </wsp:All>
      </wsp:ExactlyOnce>
  </wsp:Policy>

  Client2 gets this. The service happens to be highly-throuputtable, but we don't see it here, did provider 'cheated' :

  <wsp:Policy>
      <wsp:ExactlyOnce>
          <!-- Alt2 -->
          <wsp:All>
                <ws:Reliable/>
          </wsp:All>
      </wsp:ExactlyOnce>
  </wsp:Policy>

  No I don't think so.

  The key is understanding what an alternative is IMHO. Alternative is a self-contained, unrelated to other alternatives, piece of vocabulary a client has to understand and do something about, be it a no-op, send a notification to a peer that it's found a highly-throuputtable service, marked a GUI box that a highly-throuputtable service has been found etc...
  Treating wsp:optional in a current way makes alternatives more then just pieces of vocabularies.

  Thanks, Sergey