RE: simple case of IRIs for Components in WSDL 2.0

Dan,

There are two cases we need to consider when forming URI references.

1. The URI deferences to a WSDL document whose media type is
application/wsdl+xml
2. The URI is a WSDL namespace and we are forming identifiers for
components.

I'm not an XPointer lawyer, but in case 1 I don't see how we can change
the meaning of the bare names. Doesn't that violate the XPointer spec? Is
application/wsdl+xml allowed to redefine the meaning of XPointer for
application/xml?

In case 2 we have more leeway because the URI reference is being used as a
component identifier and the namespace is not being referenced. In this
case would could define bare names to mean whatever we want. So we could
define a bare name to identify the WSDL component with that local name,
assuming it was unique.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Sent by: public-ws-desc-comments-request@w3.org
09/15/2005 04:24 PM

Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
cc
Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>, "Henry
S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org
Subject

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 10:41 -0700, Jonathan Marsh wrote:
> Yes, Dan?s simple pointers point to XML elements rather than the
> description component,

No, I'm asking for a URI for the interface, not for an XML
element.

In my original message, I wrote:

| Then we should be able to use
| http://www.w3.org/2005/08/sparql-protocol-query#SparqlQuery
|
| to refer to that interface.

I suppose I could have been more clear; I don't mean some
indirect reference mechanism; I mean: to identifiy
that interface, directly.

>  per the XPointer spec if we keep compatible with it for our media
> type (and we should!).

I'm asking that the barename #xyz in wsdl isn't short for
the element with id xyz, but rather then component named xyz,
provided there's exactly one such component.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E