RE: Question about capturing states explicitly in BPEL/BPML

Well, a BPEL engine is a stateful one, in the sense that it keeps track of multiple instances of the process and, for each instance, knows where it is along the process flow. Of course, a BPEL flow has decision points (e.g. switch) and, in order to remember which particular path was taken, you would have to keep track of those choices at the process level (which you can do, as you mention, by using BPEL variables).

Ugo