Question about capturing states explicitly in BPEL/BPML

From: JC Reddy <jcreddy@bpmlabs.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:17:25 -0800
To: <public-ws-chor@w3.org>

One feature that I really like about Petri-net based workflow modeling is
the ability to capture states explicitly. For example, if I am passing a
work item along a workflow, I know what states it has been, and what the
current state is.

It is my understanding that both BPEL and BPML doesn't offer that, although
one can capture the state information using data containers (and such) in
indirect ways. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
JC Reddy