Re: Reference Parameters - using them

I agree that this is a missed opportunity. As is clear from Conor's
message, users of Addressing will end up designing multiple solutions
to the problem. As I suggested earlier, perhaps we need a more
visible pointer to WS-Context in the specification or, alternatively,
a WG note could specify a standard WS-Addr based mechanism ?

Marc.

On Sep 29, 2005, at 9:36 AM, Pete Hendry wrote:

> Good to know I'm not the only one thinking this. The problem I see
> is the usefulness of AddressingParameters is seriously degraded in
> the current design. I see almost no useful scenarios for their use
> in their current state. I'm sure people can come up with plenty
> that they may use them for, but as I said the most common case (I'd
> go so far as to say that it is probably the main use I would have
> for them) is not supported which is a big loss.
>
> Pete
>
> Marc Hadley wrote:
>

>> On Sep 28, 2005, at 7:35 PM, Pete Hendry wrote:
>>

>>> Related to David's examples for i057, I was wondering about what
>>> I  would consider the most common use-case for reference
>>> parameters -  the server wanting the client to return context in
>>> the next  request. It seems to me the current design of reference
>>> parameters  are only useful for
>>>
>>> a) fixed value data - i.e. not session-like data
>>> b) the client asking the server to pass back information using
>>> the  replyTo header
>>>
>>> Consider the (common?) scenario where a client logs into a
>>> server.  The server then creates a "session" in which it has
>>> customerKey and  shoppingCartId values it wants the client to
>>> pass back in each  subsequent request. These are opaque as the
>>> client does not have to  know what the customerId or
>>> shoppingCartId are to work, it just has  to include them as-is.
>>> ReferenceParameters seem the ideal vehicle  for this but where
>>> would the server specify these parameters?
>>>

>> This is the kind of use case I had in mind when I raised issue 15
>> [1],  the group didn't want to go there and we settled on pointing
>> to WS- Context instead[2]. Mebbe we need to add something to the
>> specification along these lines rather than just in the issue
>> resolution in the issues list ?
>>
>> Marc.
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/addr/wd-issues/#i015
>> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-addressing/
>> 2005Jan/ 0180
>>

>>> They are not fixed values and will change for each
>>> "conversation"  so they cannot just be specified in the WSDL with
>>> fixed values.  They have to be parameterized somehow to allow the
>>> server to set  the actual session values and pass them to the
>>> client to be  included in the next request.
>>>
>>> Is this beyond the scope of reference parameters? In (my
>>> understanding of) their current form they are of little use. It
>>> is  unlikely you would want to publish fixed values within
>>> parameters  in WSDL (or any other static mechanism) and less
>>> likely that the  client would start the session information that
>>> could be contained  within them.
>>>
>>> Pete
>>>

>> ---
>> Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
>> Business Alliances, CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.

---