RE: TIBCO objects to last call (resend)

David (Hull),

I am afraid that I am still a bit lost as to why there is an issue. You
claim we don't have a concrete description of how to handle another MEP
which is not covered in our WSDL binding document.

We have extensibility to provide additional MEPs in WSDL 2.0  by design.
There is a nice pattern attribute (URI) that specifies the MEP in a WSDL
operation which is extensible. WSDL 2.0 provides extensibility with URIs
not only with MEPs but also for styles as well (which we have exploited
greatly in WSDL 2.0 and provided some styles of our own). It just means
that MEP is an open set, just like style and TIBCO is one of the editors
of this document ;-)

WSDL 2.0  does not define additional MEPs, but certainly HAS the
machinery to provide a reference (URI) which is going to be published by
"some other" specification.  WSDL can not define all the MEPs, but
allows additional MEPs to be referred to which will be specified by
other specification(s).

Understanding a new MEP URI will let one understand how this new MEP may
require additional MAPs with WS-Addressing. I expect that when someone
publishes this new spec and the URI that "specifies" the new MEP, you
would also get information on how WS-Addressing may be used in
conjunction (if the new spec designer has done their job). We can only
define the interaction between MAPs, KNOWN WSDL MEPs and WS-Addresing
and SOAP binding(s), but I still fail to see what the Core is lacking
right now since we explicitly allow new MAPs to be defined if necessary.
We can not anticipate how many additional MAPs a new MEP may need, or
how the new MEP will utilize SOAP bindings. It is the responsibility of
the extension to define them.

We can try to give some guidance in WSDL 2.0 Part 2 (Adjuncts) such that
when a new MEP is defined, it should also state that how the MEP may
interact with WS-Addressing, should describe new MAPs (as necessary),
new types of EPRs (if any),  as well as how it utilizes SOAP bindings
when WS-Addressing. Note that we are covering this ground  for the
existing WSDL MEPs in the async task force as well. I honestly do not
think that we can even give more guidance than that in Part 2 other than
pointing out that the new MEP spec is expected to provide these items
(if necessary).   It is the responsibility of the new MEP spec to define
these additional requirements as necessary.  Alternatively, we can put a
statement to the same effect in the WSDL binding document stating that
WSDL MEPs are imherently extensible (as in WSDL 2.0) and it is the
responsibility of the MEP author to specify the specific WS-Addressing
requirements.

Therefore, I don't think we can provide more  guidance in the
WS-Addressing Core or SOAP binding or should do something else other
than status quo. Therefore, I really do not see it as a new issue for
the LC documents. I also observe that your arguments appear to be
analogous to requesting to abondon/redefine xs:any in XML Schema just
because you really do not know in advance what may additionally be
included to the existing content model by extensions and consequently
you may have to take additional constraints into account for
interpretating the content. AFAIK, extensions (typically with new
namespaces) define these restrictions/constraints, not xs:any.

I guess I agree with Dave O and Gudge.

--umit

  _____