From: Christopher B Ferris [mailto:chrisfer@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 9:02 AM
To: Srinivas, Davanum M
Cc: Martin Gudgin; public-ws-addressing@w3.org;
public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org
Subject: RE: Another way of thinking about EPRs

Dims,

You wrote:
>Section 2.4 of submission[1] talks about  comparing 2 EPR's. If I have
>to write a completely transparent BPEL or  WS-Choreography monitoring
>solution, I need to be able to look at the  wire and be able to figure
>out who is talking to who and keep track of  interactions between
>entities in the system. *IF* from the soap message  on the wire I can
>figure out the "who" portion..then I am all set.

Again, I must ask; why aren't <wsa:To/> and <wsa:From/> sufficient to
achieve this objective?

I could be using the refps for applying the implied resource pattern
(WS-RF), but that is not a required application of refps. Does your
monitoring of SOAP traffic have intimate knowledge about PONumber
embedded in the soap:Body? I doubt it would be even remotely practical
as it would require domain knowledge of all application-domains on the
part of the monitoring software.
Yet, a soap:Body//PONumber identifies a resource relevant to the service
just as a refp might do.

Bottom line, what is the "who" you think you are tracking? The
resource(s) behind a service endpoint or the service itself? If the
former, then frankly, unless refps are used exclusively for application
of the WS-RF implied resource pattern, you are probably making a false
assumption.

If you are tracking for purposes of matching requests with responses,
then you have wsa:MessageId and wsa:RelatesTo. The address becomes
immaterial.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com