RE: Another way of thinking about EPRs

Hey Gudge,

Yes, your examples make sense but here are three counterarguments to
them:

1. Message structure (and perhaps contents of some elements) can be
described in a message description language. From WSDL and WS-Policy we
can infer the structure and contents of the messages we want to
exchange. Are you suggesting that WS-Addressing should be yet another
way of describing message format?

According to your examples bellow, it was a requirement of the receiving
service to see those particular headers in a message. But the receiving
service may need to see more headers there as well (e.g. WS-Security,
WS-Context, etc.). Should those be included in the EPR too?

2. Yes, I understand the arguments of not having to decrypt the message
body to get access to this information and to take advantage of
infrastructure etc. However, the "GOLD/SILVER/PLATINUM" example has been
presented before and I don't understand its motivation. Is there a
suggestion that just because someone included the
<m:ServiceLevel>GOLD</m:ServiceLevel> header they will automatically
receive that kind of service? Obviously some authentication will have to
take place (e.g. the message carries an appropriate security token). An
architect will design a system to determine whether GOLD service will be
provided to the requestor only after authentication. In such a case, we
don't really need the extra header.

The only related use case I can think of is to have an EPR from which
one could get access (using WS-MetadataExchange) to the metadata of the
PLATINUM service even though they are not allowed to use it (e.g. look
what you can have if you subscribe to our PLATINUM service).

3. Finally, is it the case that you couple the TxId to a particular
endpoint and you hide the transaction from the services that use that
EPR (opaqueness of the EPR)? What if the transaction spanned multiple
endpoints? Would you have to issue multiple EPRs with different TxIDs?

Best regards,
--
Savas Parastatidis
http://savas.parastatidis.name