W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wot-ig@w3.org > August 2016

[wot] minutes - 3 August 2016

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 23:51:42 +0900
Message-ID: <CAJ8iq9VtT8O21eHr=_6_H825CL44AuWVV7kNGGpDwL95stLerA@mail.gmail.com>
To: Public Web of Things IG <public-wot-ig@w3.org>
available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2016/08/03-wot-minutes.html

also as text below.

Thank you very much for taking these minutes, Michael!

Kazuyuki

---
   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                                 WoT IG

03 Aug 2016

   [2]Agenda

      [2]
https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/IG_WebConf#Agenda_of_next_WoT_IG_WebConf:_27_July_2016

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/03-wot-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Johannes, Daniel, Matthias, Victor, Yingying, Scott,
          Sebastian, Kaz, Michael, Bowen, Katsuyoshi, Masato,
          Takuki, Victor,
          Jim_Barnett(invited_for_SCXML_discussion)

   Regrets
   Chair
          Matthias

   Scribe
          Michael

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Blog post for Beijing f2f
         2. [6]SCXML
         3. [7]TPAC
         4. [8]IG deliverables
         5. [9]WG period
         6. [10]Discussion on Scott's post
     * [11]Summary of Action Items
     * [12]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <mkovatsc>
   [13]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/IG_WebConf#Agenda_of_next_Wo
   T_IG_WebConf:_27_July_2016

     [13]
https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/IG_WebConf#Agenda_of_next_WoT_IG_WebConf:_27_July_2016

   <kaz> scribe: Michael

   <kaz> scribenick: MIchael

Blog post for Beijing f2f

   <mkovatsc> [14]https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/

     [14] https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/

   Plugfest doc for review

SCXML

   Jim presents SCXML

   <kaz> [15]SCXML Recommendation

     [15] https://www.w3.org/TR/scxml/

   Designed as a control language based on Harrel State Charts

   Look as sec 3.1 of the spec for a high level overview

   <inserted> [16]Introduction section

     [16] https://www.w3.org/TR/scxml/#CoreIntroduction

   <inserted> jim: SCXML implementations:

   <JimBarnett> [17]https://libraries.io/github/tklab-tud/uscxml

     [17] https://libraries.io/github/tklab-tud/uscxml

   <JimBarnett> [18]https://github.com/jbeard4/SCION

     [18] https://github.com/jbeard4/SCION

   SCION is implemented in js

   Johannes: could define device behavior using state machine
   language as executable code

   What is the execution env?

   Jim: use the invoke tag to execute, accepts events in and sends
   events out
   ... being used for a wide range of applications

   Sebastian? can execution be modified at runtime?

   Jim: no, static analysis is used
   ... the data model may be conditionally loaded during execution

   Also one state machine can start another at runtime

   Kaz: One state machine can transfer execution to another at
   runtime
   ... like html page transition

   Jim: SCXML can embed scripting language to execute when
   enetering/leaving states

   Daniel: can we also embed data models?

   Jim: Yes, any data model, any scripting language with general
   restricitions on the data model

   Matthias: what is the community of users? Who uses and
   participates?

   Jim: the development is done, no developers are active in a
   community
   ... used in physics, Audi for dashboard control modeling

   Matthias: anything close to our use case?

   Jim: there was one person using SCXML for an embedded use case
   ... try the mailing list, also there are workshops with EICS

   <kaz> [19]SCXML workshop

     [19] http://scxmlworkshop.de/eics2016/

   Jim: public proceedings form the workshops

   Johannes: Are there commercial open source tools using SCXML?

   Jim: there are some research tools, IBM was at one point
   interested for their UML tools

   <kaz> [20]Apache Commons SCXML

     [20] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-scxml/

   Kaz: IBM contributed an SCXML implementation to Apache
   ... Audi and others using SCXML for automitive IVI

   <kaz> maybe we might want to talk with Dirk Schnelle-Walka from
   Harman as well

   Matthias: who is willing to do an evaluation for WoT?

   <inserted> will continue discussion using email

   Next on agenda: TPAC planning

TPAC

   Matthias: need presentations and demo, won't have the normal
   plugfest

   Daniel prepared a slide

   Overall idea is 2 flyers, one for mgmt, one for developers

   Daniel: could have 4 tables (=4 demo booths with a table for
   each):

   Thing Description,

   Scripting,

   Protocol bindings

   and an integrated demo

   with air conditioner, window covers, etc.

   5 minute demo

   Daniel: is it sensible?

   There will be a poster to explain the demo

   and one person for each table

   How big are the tables?

   Matthias: coordinate the presentations this time

   Kaz: We can have the demo room on Wednesday, and we might be
   able to have the room for 1-2 more days

   The demo is a breakout that everyone can join

   Matthias: is there a chance to have a presentation to explain
   the demo to everyone interested?
   ... good opportunity to make people aware of our work

   Kaz: there is another room available if we want to do a demo
   and presentation at the same time
   ... we might get 2 slots

   Matthias: 2 hours in the afternoon for the demo, and if
   possible another slot in the morning for technical explanation

   Can we have a promotional slot on tuesday, 5 minutes?

   Matthias: won't have any technical additions, this is about
   improving and building on Beijing and making it more
   understandable
   ... make sure everything is available

   RESOLUTION: our requirements for TPAC: Wed. morning slot for
   demo pitch presentation, Wed. afternoon slot for actual demo;
   Tue. ac 5 min presentation on WoT work (and AC review)

IG deliverables

   Releasing UCR and CP documents Beijing version

   <mkovatsc>
   [21]https://w3c.github.io/wot/current-practices/wot-practices-b
   eijing-2016.html

     [21]
https://w3c.github.io/wot/current-practices/wot-practices-beijing-2016.html

   Matthias: need a resolution to release CP document with a
   disclaimer that it is a series of releases
   ... anyone opposed to releasing?

   <kaz> [ fyi, we need to update the status section like:
   [22]https://www.w3.org/TR/hnreq/#sotd ]

     [22] https://www.w3.org/TR/hnreq/#sotd

   No objections, resolved to release CP document

   RESOLUTION: We'll publish the Current Practices document as an
   IG Note

   <jhund> [23]http://w3c.github.io/wot/wot-ucr.html

     [23] http://w3c.github.io/wot/wot-ucr.html

   Matthias: fixed the abstract
   ... this will also be a living document

   anyone opposed to releasing the UCR document?

   no objections, resolved to release the UCR document

   RESOLUTION: We'll publish the Use Cases and Requirements
   document as an IG Note

   Architecture document?

   Matthias: is there anyone on the call to discuss the Arch
   document?

   <kaz> ACTION: kaz to ask Kajimoto-san about his plan for the
   arch doc publication [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/03-wot-minutes.html#action01]

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/03-wot-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-72 - Ask kajimoto-san about his plan
   for the arch doc publication [on Kazuyuki Ashimura - due
   2016-08-10].

   <kaz> Matthias: regarding the Tech Landscape, need to check
   with Soumya

   Ask for more input, this document is the foundation for the WG

WG period

   Kaz: need to clarify the starting and ending dates for the
   working group

   Ending 2018, syncing with the end date of the IG

   RESOLUTION: WG ending date is end of 2018

Discussion on Scott's post

   <kaz> [25]thread on Scott's post

     [25]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wot-ig/2016Jun/thread.html#msg59

   Scott: Common set of vocabulary for interoperability

   <kaz> like CSS levels

   Scott: start at level 1, then go to level 2
   ... like standardizing on/off remote controls for entertainment
   gear

   Matthias: we wanted to have semantic statements that describe a
   thing in RDF
   ... can also add extension statements
   ... avoid fixed classes or types, this is what ZigBee, etc are
   doing

   We rather want to use a vocabulary to describe

   Scott: very close to what I said

   Matthias: there is the minimum core, plus application specific
   vocabularies, do you have any examples?

   Scott: seems to be about a practical rather than philosophical
   if understood correctly
   ... no examples though

   Matthias: common "atomic" vocabulary like on/off may be defined
   by W3C
   ... what is the scope of what is being proposed?

   Scott: want to make sure that the vocabulary can be extended,
   and there is enough of a base vocabulary defined about how
   state is controlled
   ... how commands are structured, etc

   Johannes: The question is whether we should stay horizontal or
   get into vertical areas to get more concrete examples?

   Scott: no opinion about what W3C should do, using Homekit as an
   example which has enough defined to "just work" without being
   overly constrained
   ... doesn't want to push this group one way or another
   ... think we're on the same page

   Matthias: work with other orgs already building vertical
   definitions, e.g. SAREF

   Are you aware of others, Max Senges, schema.org?

   Any liaison opportunities?

   Scott: Max is working on schema.org, also working with Roy Want
   on IoTx

   Matthias: What about the IAB workshop?

   Scott: will put us in contact with Max

   Matthias: any use cases for application specific vocabulary?

   Scott: creating a form of RESTful interface for devices

   Physical web is like a QR code, just transmits a URL

   Scott: web bluetooth can connect the thing tothe web also

   have creates toys, demos, pill bottle example

   Scott: provides a RESTful interface to the device
   ... at that level, not much concern for interoperability, just
   talk to the thing

   step 2 is an intelligent controller to control a swarm of
   things, here is where interoperability will be needed

   Scott: a network scan function is being developed for dealing
   with multiple devices

   Johannes: Describes UI generation from Thing Description, could
   fit it to the URI beacons to reveal functionality of devices in
   an interoperable way

   Scott: Physical web just deals with URIs

   Scott device capabilities are not part of Physical Web to keep
   it flexible

   Matthias: Is there a defined representation? is it HTML
   returned or is it machine readable?

   Scott: not defining the representation at all
   ... not choosing but for now it just points to a web page

   Matthias: can you address BT devices using URIs?

   Scott: using GATT

   Physical Web is open, discussion on Github

   Matthias: any other questions?

   Kaz: would Scott be interested in participating?

   Scott: should talk with Max about participation in WoT group

   Matthias: reminder on AC review coming up, please talk with
   your AC rep

   Scott: again, look at IoTX

   <kaz> [26]IoTx at MIT?

     [26]
https://blog.nicholaskellett.com/2016/04/20/mits-iotx-internet-of-things-online-course-first-impressions/

   Michael will look into discussion with the Linux Foundation
   IoTX project

   Kaz will contact MIT

   Matthias will not make next 2 meetings, please drive via email

   [ Adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: kaz to ask Kajimoto-san about his plan for the
   arch doc publication [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/03-wot-minutes.html#action01]

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/03-wot-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

    1. [28]our requirements for TPAC: Wed. morning slot for demo
       pitch presentation, Wed. afternoon slot for actual demo;
       Tue. ac 5 min presentation on WoT work (and AC review)
    2. [29]We'll publish the Current Practices document as an IG
       Note
    3. [30]We'll publish the Use Cases and Requirements document
       as an IG Note
    4. [31]WG ending date is end of 2018

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [32]scribe.perl version
    1.144 ([33]CVS log)
    $Date: 2016/08/03 14:47:43 $

     [32] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [33] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 3 August 2016 14:53:08 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 3 August 2016 14:53:09 UTC