RE: [TF-DI] Thing API proposal (was RE: [TF-DI] Agenda and webex details - 24 Sept 2015 at 15:00 CEST)

Hi Dave,

We are well aware of NSD API activity as we provided a WebKit implementation [1], and indeed some security issues could not be overcome with this model. Yet, Presentation API offers an alternative model that does not suffer from the same issues and could be extended to provide a broader discovery/communication API, as illustrated by Louay’s recent proposal but also by different presentations at TPAC last year [2].

I agree that clarifying use cases and getting support from browser vendors would be necessary to initiate new work on this topic, but based on related presentations, proposals and previous work, there seems to be an interest for such an activity. While different solutions may be envisioned, WoT already provides a compelling use case for a discovery/communication API as it would allow to set up a pipe between web apps and things, a means that WoT is currently missing and that could easily be extended (e.g. based on Thing Description and interaction models).

Best regards,

Romain.

[1] https://github.com/canonresearchfrance
[2] https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2014/SessionIdeas#startSession.28.22WoT_devices.22.29