Re: [TF-DI] Thing API proposal (was RE: [TF-DI] Agenda and webex details - 24 Sept 2015 at 15:00 CEST)

> On 13 Oct 2015, at 17:49, BELLESSORT Romain <Romain.Bellessort@crf.canon.fr> wrote:
>
> As a side note, I believe that a generic discovery/communication API would also be very useful for WoT. Indeed, in addition to providing a means which is currently lacking (as would Thing API), it would also allow developers to keep experimenting and adding custom features if needed thanks to its extensibility.

The W3C Device APIs WG has looked at a network service discovery API, but it failed to get sufficient support to progress further. Instead, we are seeing progress on discovery that is tied into APIs for particular services, e.g. the second screen API, and the work on NFC and Bluetooth (the latter two currently in Community Groups).

One of the issues is how to address privacy, another is the need to adhere to the Web’s same origin security policy, although CORS provides controlled way to relax this.  The privacy challenge is considered to be easier to address for specific services.  If we are to initiate new work on a generic discovery/communication API for the Open Web Platform it will be important to clarify the use cases, and to get support from browser vendors.

Best regards,
—
   Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org <mailto:dsr@w3.org>>