Re: [whatwg] Accessing local files with JavaScript portably and securely

Hi all:

Agreed, David

Thank you very uch for pointing us to the URL

https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/#basic-fetch

BTW: It's not our mission to discourage users ( netters) to --ehem --
use a modern browser featured in  her/his personal device for personal
purposes ( as it is the exercise to access internal HTML files, linked
internally or externally either to JSON data, text data --uh that old
CDROMs -- or another linked HTML files -- CSS and jS comes to mind here
-- ).

This discouragement,  seems quite the opposite as what is defined in the
spec

"_For now, unfortunate as it is, file and ftp URLs [6]__ are left as an
exercise for the reader._"

Just mumbling. Cheers.

---

Delfi Ramirez -- At Work

My digital signature [1]

0034 633 589231
 delfin@segonquart.net [2]

twitter: @delfinramirez [3]
 IRC: segonquart
 Skype: segonquart [4]

http://segonquart.net

http://delfiramirez.info
 [5]

On 2017-04-14 18:58, David Kendal wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2017, at 19:50, Patrick Dark <whatwg.at.whatwg.org@patrick.dark.name> wrote:
>
>> The "world wide web" is the user-facing portion of the Internet. Files
>> on a CD or USB drive are not part of that.
>
> You are continuing to dodge this problem by redefining the WHAT WG's
> responsibilities. Please don't do that.
>
> If you can't take my word for it, how about the inventor of the
> web itself? <https://gitter.im/solid/chat?at=58ed246d408f90be66aeeb30>
> (Thanks to a correspondent, who I presume prefers to remain unnamed,
> for sending this to me off-list.)
>
> As the divinely-appointed guardians of the HTML spec, the responsibility
> of the WHAT WG is to ensure that HTML is a useful platform for documents
> and applications wherever HTML files can be opened from, whether that's
> HTTP(S), FTP, or local files. Where 'the web' starts and stops in this
> spectrum of possible protocols is of no import.
>
> On that note I also see that the Fetch API has stubbed out the
> specification of file: and ftp: URL semantics for definition in the
> future at <https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/#basic-fetch>.
>
> --
> dpk (David P. Kendal) · Nassauische Str. 36, 10717 DE · http://dpk.io/
> In politics, obedience and support are the same thing.
> -- Hannah Arendt

Links:
------
[1] http://delfiramirez.info/public/dr_public_key.asc