Re: [whatwg] New approach to activities/intents

On 2014-11-11 23:31, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> On 7 Nov 2014 at 20:01, Nils Dagsson Moskopp wrote:
>> Roger Hågensen <rescator@emsai.net> writes:
>>
>>> A link element in the header, maybe call it <link rel="share"
>>> href="http://example.com/article/12345/" />
>>> or <link rel="share" /> if the current url (or the canonical url link if
>>> present) should be used, although I guess in a way rel="share" will
>>> probably replace the need to use rel="canonical" in the long run.
>> I do not understand. Why should one invent a rel value (“share”) that
>> conveys the same semantics as an already existing one (“canonical”) ?
> I also have to admit that I struggle to see what value adding a rel="share" link to a page adds!? If you look at how people share links (they copy and paste what's shown in the browser's address bar) then I wonder why anything at all is needed on the page to be shared... The story is obviously different for Share Web APIs or share endpoints as they are called in https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Sharing/API  (Facebook, Reddit, bitly etc.).

Then a rel="share" could be used to provide hints for those (in the form
of a OpenShare standard similar to OpenSearch?).
But good point nonetheless, rel="bookmark" is very underused as well,
probably because it's original intent was superseded by people
bookmarking http://example.com/somepage#section
I just checked WHATWG HTML5 and rel="bookmark" isn't there at all (I
didn't check W3C HTML5 though).

> The most interesting question however is why (desktop) browsers haven't added a share button till now..

Wish I knew. As I mentioned in another post just bookmarking a url is
not fully supported still. (right click a URL in Opera and Chrome, I see
no Bookmark option there, Firefox and IE does however).

Anyway, my point was (probably muddled by me) that a Sharing API may
just encompass the whole sharing path, which as you said above starts
with people copying/dragging/right clicking a address bar or URL.
Once that URL is captured (and any possible hints) then it's passed to
the Share API, and I feel it is important that the initial user step is
also covered. (as that is not documented at all currently right?)

Which brings another issue, how far is too far? Should the naming be
standardized as well?

Right click a URL on a page and what do you see?
Chrome shows "Copy link adress"
Firefox shows "Bookmark This Link" and "Copy Link Location"
IE shows "Add to favorites..." "Copy shortcut"
Opera "Copy link address"

Right click a page and what do you see?
Chrome shows nothing
Firefox shows nothing
IE shows "Add to favorites..." "Create shortcut"
Opera "Add to Speed Dial" "Add to bookmarks" "Copy address"

Right click a address field and what do you see?
Chrome shows "Copy"
Firefox shows "Copy"
IE shows "Copy"
Opera "Copy"

Very confusing and inconsistent.

I'd like to see the following:
Right click a URL on a page and see "Copy Link" "Bookmark/Share Link..."
Right click a page and see "Copy Link" "Bookmark/Share Link..."
Right click a address field and see "Copy Link" "Bookmark/Share Link..."
For touch screens/devices holding the finger for x amount of time would
equal a right click.

the same as "Copy Link".
"Bookmark/Share Link..." will present a Share API.

Opera has a neat thing when you bookmark a page, you are given a option
of either a normal bookmark or a Speed Dial bookmark (tiny icon), and it
also lets you choose the look of your bookmark (site logo, page
thumbnail or text), by the looks of it very easy to add other forms of
bookmarks or sharing to that UI (Facebook an Twitter etc.)

To me there is no difference between a bookmark of a link or sharing a
link, a bookmark is simply you sharing with yourself.

I also wonder if a standardized icon/symbol should exist for a
"Bookmark/Share" button on the surrounding UI of a browser.
Opera has a heart symbol, Firefox has a star and clipboard/list thingy,
IE has a star, and Chrome has a star.

A star has been used for Favorite/Bookmark for quite a while.
So what about "Bookmark/Share" ? Does a book with a star make sense or
is that too cluttered? Or is Opera on trend with their heart?

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://www.EmSai.net/