Re: [whatwg] Proposal: Inline pronounce element

On 6/10/2014 3:05 AM, whatwg-request@lists.whatwg.org wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 15:41:32 -0400
> From: timeless@gmail.com
> To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
> Subject: Re: [whatwg] Proposal: Inline pronounce element
>
> Tab wrote:
>> This is already theoretically addressed by <link rel=pronunciation>,
>> linking to a well-defined pronunciation file format. Nobody
>> implements that, but nobody implements anything new either, of course.
> Brett wrote:
>> I think it'd be a lot easier for sites, say along the lines of
>> Wikipedia, to support inline markup to allow users to get a word
>> referenced at the beginning of an article, for example, pronounced
>> accurately.
> Wikipedia can easily use data:... if it needs to.?
> And wiktionary already has a solution...
>
> A better challenge is explaining to a screen reader if "read" is "rEd" or "rehD" in a page where you want to define and use both. I claim that this can be addressed with id= on the link and a ref= (or similar) on the use.?
>
> But before User Agents should be asked to support this, I'd want to see real sites showing an interest.?
>
> Screen Reader vendors seem ok with the current state - they sell the pronunciation tables...

My thought was that browsers could expose some interface for getting the
word pronounced even if the user was not using a screen reader. And
without a site needing to have supplied it's own JavaScript to apply
styling and buttons around such tags so that when clicked, a
`SpeechSynthesisUtterance` would be made.

Brett