[whatwg] Proposal: Inline pronounce element

From: Daniel Morris <daniel+whatwg@honestempire.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 11:26:37 +0100
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
Hello,

With existing assistive technology such as screen readers, and more
recently the pervasiveness of new technologies such as Siri and Google
Now to name two examples, I have been thinking about the
appropriateness and potential of having a way to represent the
pronunciation of words on a web page.

There is currently no other text-level semantic that I know of for
pronunciation, but we have elements for abbreviation and definition.

As an initial suggestion:

<pronounce ipa=“ˈaɪpæd”>iPad</pronounce>

(Where the `ipa` attribute is the pronunciation using the
International Phonetic Alphabet.)

What are your thoughts on this, or does something already exist that I
am not aware of?