Re: [whatwg] summary/details - proposal

--

Regards

SteveF

On 6 April 2014 21:08, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Apr 2014, Steve Faulkner wrote:

> > > The spec doesn't disallow making clicks on (non-interactive) parts of
> > > the summary defer to the disclosure triangle. Browsers should just
> > > match platform conventions, where applicable, and otherwise make
> > > whatever is considered the best choice for users (such as making such
> > > content also trigger the disclosure triangle).
> >
> > Platform conventions for disclosure type widgets vary, on windows for
> > example, the current implementations match the convention.
>
> The conventions on Windows are all over the place:
>
>    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa511487.aspx
>
> ...but I doubt that this matches any of the Windows conventions:
>
> | when the summary element includes other interactive elements (as it is
> | allowed to), clicking on them results in the details element being
> | opened/closed

Not what I said, but the current implementations use of <summary> as the
interactive element matches, the first example under usage patterns
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa511487.aspx#patterns

> > > That's way more complicated than necessary for authors,
> >
> > how so?
>
> All that should be necessary is:
>
>  <details>
>   <summary> Foo </summary>
>  </details>
>
> Adding two attributes and an elements is thus more complicated than
> necessary. This seems pretty unambiguous to me.

for the case

<details>
 </details>

whats the disclosure label?

what about?

<details>
 </details>

> > in the absence of browser making "clicks on (non-interactive) parts of
> > the summary defer to the disclosure triangle." how is an author supposed
> > to do this?
>
> The author isn't supposed to do this. The whole point of semantic controls
> like this is that the user agent is the one that picks the user interface.

does this also extend to the author being able to provide an accessible
name for the control?

> Once we start talking about custom widgets, we're in the space of Web
> components, at which point the author can do whatever the author wants.

yeah, its a shame that the design of some html features don't provide the
flexibility to allow authors to fix user agent specific design deficits
without recourse to web components