Re: [whatwg] Effect on window.opener when navigating an existing window using window.open

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014, Bob Owen wrote:

> > Did you receive any off-list feedback on this, or attempt to implement
> > it and get any implementation experience?
>
> Thanks for getting back to me Ian.
> No, no other feedback.
> I have a patch for it, but haven't pursued it any further.
> I could investigate putting the change in for Firefox Nightly, if you think
> that might help with finding any compat issues.

Well as far as I'm concerned, I would encourage you to try to converge on
the spec behaviour. If it turns out there are compatibility issues, that
would be good to know. If not, then at least we win more interoperability.

> I can also see that both pieces of information (original opener and last
> navigator) might be useful. So, maybe the other could be added either
> way.

I haven't heard any author demand for it, so I haven't added it, but
indeed, if this is something authors have a use for, we could add it.

It's worth noting that there are many many ways to navigate a browsing
context beyond window.open(), e.g. <a target="">, window.location,
drag-and-drop of a link, window.history.go(), etc.