Re: [whatwg] Effect on window.opener when navigating an existing window using window.open

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014, Bob Owen wrote:

> The spec [...] seems to be fairly clear that if an existing window is
> navigated using window.open, by a browsing context that is not the
> original opener, then window.opener should remain unchanged.
>
> Currently, Trident (and incidentally Presto) seems to have the correct
> behaviour, but Blink, WebKit and Gecko all change window.opener to the
> window of the browsing context that has just caused it to navigate. I
> believe this to be a very long standing difference (>10 years for Gecko
> and Trident)
>
> I am proposing to change Gecko to match the spec, but I was advised to
> raise the issue here before going ahead.
>
> Do people agree that window.opener should remain unchanged in this
> circumstance?

Did you receive any off-list feedback on this, or attempt to implement it
and get any implementation experience?

Having "opener" be the actual opener seems pretty intuitive to me; if
there's no compat need to do otherwise, it seems like a reasonable choice.

Is there a security reason to prefer the latest navigator?

(At the time the spec was written, it was 2v2; the 1v3 situation we have
now is the result of Presto going away and Blink forking from WebKit.)