Re: [whatwg] Features for responsive Web design

On Oct 11, 2012, at 1:10 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Mathew Marquis wrote:

>>> It's not solved at all. I didn't attempt to solve it. Before we can
>>> solve it, we need to figure out how to do so, as discussed here
>>> (search for "bandwidth one"):
>>>
>>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2012May/0247.html
>>
>> The RICG has proposed a solution to dealing with the overarching issue
>> of bandwidth; it’s described in the following post:
>> http://www.w3.org/community/respimg/2012/06/18/florians-compromise/
>>
>> In the interest of keeping relevant information on the list, I’ll
>> repost the relevant section here:
>>
>> It would assume a great deal if authors were to make this decision for
>> the users. It would add a point of failure: we would be taking the
>> bandwidth information afforded us by the browser, and selectively
>> applying that information. Some of us may do it wrong; some of us may
>> find ourselves forced to make a decision as to whether we account for
>> users with limited bandwidth or not. To not account for it would be, in
>> my opinion, untenable — I’ve expressed that elsewhere, in no
>> uncertain terms. I feel that bandwidth decisions are best left to the
>> browser. The decision to download high vs. standard resolution images
>> should be made by user agents, depending on the bandwidth available —
>> and further, I believe there should be a user settable preference for
>> “always use standard resolution images,” “always use high
>> resolution images,” ”download high resolution as bandwidth
>> permits,” and so on. This is the responsibility of browser
>> implementors, and they largely seem to be in agreement on this.
>>
>> In discussing the final markup pattern, we have to consider the above.
>> Somewhere, that markup is going to contain a suggestion, rather than an
>> imperative. srcset affords us that opportunity: a new syntax _designed_
>> to be treated as such. I wouldn’t want to introduce that sort of
>> variance to the media query spec — a syntax long established as a set
>> of absolutes.
>
> How does this address the points in the e-mail I cited above?

Where you were stating that you personally had yet to propose a solution to the issue of bandwidth, I thought it might bear mentioning that there has been a fair amount of discussion around the issue. I apologize if I’ve diverged too far from the original topic.