[whatwg] [html5] DI element

James Graham wrote:
> In general, the ability, or lack thereof, to express a given constraint
> in any schema language has been regarded as an unimportant consideration
> for Web Forms content models (and hence, by inference, is unimportant
> for Web Apps content models) . Therefore this isn't a good argument
> against using <li> in this way. On the other hand, if legacy UAs have
> some problem with <li> outside a HTML 4 list container, that would be a
> good argument against this (IMHO rather attractive) proposal. I'd be
> surprised if that were the case though since such a restriction would
> probably break real sites.

    I did a quick test, and using <li> in a <dl> produces a bullet on
Firefox, IE and Opera, whereas <di> and the complete lack of a parent
element did not. So, <li> didn't break anything, but it really didn't
have the desired rendering on legacy browsers. This alone it a good
argument for defeating <li> in this context. Plus, there's the
additional fact that <di> is already in the XHTML 2.0 working draft,