[whatwg] [html5] DI element

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Dean Edwards wrote:
>
>>> Introducing this element affects the content model of DL. There are
>>> multiple options possible. Either you could permit DI as well. You
>>> could require it, or have a mixed content model where you only allow
>>> the one or the other depending on your needs.
>>

>> Couldn't we just allow <li> in <dl> instead? Or have I missed
>> something from a previous thread?
>

> There was no previous thread. I guess allowing LI inside DL would be
> possible. However, the content model of LI would change when it is
> directly inside DL. (In XML Schema you can express such a thing, not
> sure if it is possible using DTDs.)

In general, the ability, or lack thereof, to express a given constraint
in any schema language has been regarded as an unimportant consideration
for Web Forms content models (and hence, by inference, is unimportant
for Web Apps content models) . Therefore this isn't a good argument
against using <li> in this way. On the other hand, if legacy UAs have
some problem with <li> outside a HTML 4 list container, that would be a
good argument against this (IMHO rather attractive) proposal. I'd be
surprised if that were the case though since such a restriction would
probably break real sites.