[whatwg] Introducing new elements is expensive

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:55:35 -0500
Dean Edwards wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>  <output value="bar">foo</output>
>>
>>Legacy UAs show "foo" where WF2 UAs show "bar".
>
> This is not consistent with <textarea>. I think they should behave the
> same. <output> is effectively a read-only <textarea>.

    Actually, this is not the case. For <textarea>, if you put in HTML
content inside the element, it treats the contents as PCDATA, so the
user will see HTML markup inside a multiline textbox. That is not the
case with <output> in a legacy user agent. Any HTML contents will
display as HTML in a legacy UA. Yet if we assume the <textarea> model
for <output>, WF2 UAs will display the underlying markup as text instead
of rendering it. So, right off the bat, we have a difference in how the
contents of <output> are rendered between legacy and WF2 user agents.

    Since we can't avoid a difference in rendering unless we
artificially enforce a no-markup-inside-<output> rule, what does it hurt
to simply have a |value| attribute to set the .defaultvalue directly?