[whatwg] [WA1] <sl> - The Selection List element

On 6/6/05, James Graham <jg307 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Axis looks like roughly the right idea although the proposed use isn't
> clearly compatible with the HTML 4 spec.

Not directly, perhaps, but I figure it's the closest fit. :-)

> On the other hand, I'd be
> surprised if anyone actually implements support for axis since the
> number of sites using it is presumably very small and the difficulty of
> a good implementation seems to be high.

Hmm... that is a good point.  I can't really think of a solution.

> Reusing class has the added
> advantage that authors are already familar with grouping items through
> the class attribute and in particular, are already familar with
> attaching style through class. This should make for a shallow learning
> curve as using new features will be a simple matter of reusing existing
> markup habits.

I understand why it is preferable.  I'm just a little wary of
attaching semantics to specific classes, since they could conceivably
collide with user classes.  One possible solution is to make them as
long as possible, so that the likelihood is much lower; however, that
reduces their usefulness, IMHO.

Aankhen