[whatwg] [WA1] <sl> - The Selection List element

Aankhen wrote:

>On 6/3/05, James Graham <jg307 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>>[snip]
>>It sounds like a problem
>>that needs an attribute for grouping elements (class would be fine
>>because all we're doing is grouping elements) and a way of specifying
>>the type of relationship that the elements in a particular group have
>>(e.g. they belong to the same set of selectable objects, they have the
>>same drag / drop behavior, or whatever).
>>

>Could the `scope` and `axis` attributes help here?

Axis looks like roughly the right idea although the proposed use isn't
clearly compatible with the HTML 4 spec. On the other hand, I'd be
surprised if anyone actually implements support for axis since the
number of sites using it is presumably very small and the difficulty of
a good implementation seems to be high. Reusing class has the added
advantage that authors are already familar with grouping items through
the class attribute and in particular, are already familar with
attaching style through class. This should make for a shallow learning
curve as using new features will be a simple matter of reusing existing
markup habits.

--
"But if science you say still sounds too deep,
Just do what Beaker does, just shrug and 'Meep!'"

-- Dr. Bunsen Honeydew & Beaker of Muppet Labs